Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Almost human

I am reminded of what my wife told me about our first correspondence; that her trepidation was mitigated by the fact that I didn’t ask about her anatomy. To me, such inquires would denote an objectification bordering on schizophrenic sadism; but from her accounts, it was the norm.

A lack of respect for another is indicative of contempt for one’s self; the notion that transpeople are unworthy of human compassion and love demonstrates the kind of depravity inherent in many individuals notions of a “normal” relationship.

My wife’s transsexuality enhances her natural attractiveness; it augments her beauty with a gentle, gorgeous empathy that I find irresistible. Would that the culture at large could forgo their beloved ignorance long enough to appreciate the beauty of personal integrity.

No comments: